Author: Dr. Nivedita Dadu, Dermatologist and Founder, Dr. Nivedita Dadu’s Dermatology Clinic
Waking up with clear and problem-free skin is everyone’s dream but at some point of time in our lives, we suffer from unwanted skin problems. Acne is one such common issue which you must have faced once in your lifetime. While it normally occurs during the teen years of a person but can last in adulthood as well which is normally referred as an adult acne. However, it depends on a lot of things such as your skin type, lifestyle, gender, diet and the products that you use. It could also be due to hormonal imbalance. Whatever may be the reason, it is very essential for people with acne-prone skin to take care of their skin properly.
Acne is a common skin condition that usually happens when our skin pores are clogged with oil and dead skin cells. Acne can be of various types such as whiteheads, blackheads, nodules, cysts, and pustules.
Treating acne can be really stressful but with some strong measures and treatments, one can easily get beautiful and acne-free skin. Here are some listed do’s and don’ts which should be followed by people suffering from acne.
1. Avoid touching acne – The first and foremost thing is that the acne should not be squeezed or popped. It is very important to avoid touching your face or acne again and again as it can cause more infection to a particular area. Popping or squeezing your acne can cause stress to that spot which ultimately leads to the scarring.
2. Use mild products– People suffering from acne should look-out for those products which are soap-free and mild and doesn’t cause irritation to the skin. It is recommended to use cleansers that contain salicylic acid or glycolic acid. People often miss this step but after cleansing the face, it is very important to use a good quality toner as it shrinks the pores and helps to maintain the pH balance of the skin.
3. Always moisturize -Moisturizing the face is a vital step that one should not miss at any cost. Use moisturizer that is mild in nature and suits your skin. If you have oily skin, avoid using greasy or oil-based moisturizers as they can increase your acne.
4. Choose an appropriate diet– Diet plays a very important role in treating acne. A good and proper diet will not only cure the acne problem but will also help you to get glowing and problem-free skin. Green leafy vegetables, food rich in fiber and various fruits are helpful in curing this problem. Also, avoid foods that are high in sugar as they are known to increase acne.
5. Don’t exfoliate too much– People have a misconception that scrubbing the face can actually help acne fade away. But the truth is that scrubbing or exfoliating your skin too much can irritate the skin which will ultimately cause more acne.
6. Don’t switch products too often– Sometimes switching products too often also causes acne. If we see that a particular product is not working or giving desired results, we immediately switch products to combat the acne problem. But, it damages your skin as it becomes sensitive and causes more acne.
7. Remove makeup before going to bed – You might be tired after a long hectic day but it is always advisable to remove your makeup properly before going to bed. Use a gentle makeup remover to remove all your makeup to prevent acne or making the condition worst.
8. Guidance from Dermatologist – Last but not the least, see a dermatologist if you are experiencing severe acne problems. A dermatologist can guide you properly after carefully examining the condition and further treatment can be taken to cure the acne problem.